Friday, December 16, 2016

Warm Hearts

I promised you and the boys and girls that our Secret Snowflake activity would be more than just a holiday gift exchange. I didn't know how much more.

This week, as part of Secret Snowflake, the class has been writing notes of appreciation and encouragement to each other. Any child can write to any other child in the class, not just his or her Secret Snowflake (since, of course, that would give away our secrets). Our small classroom mailbox has been filled each morning and afternoon with heart-shaped notes for me to deliver. The messages have been meaningful and sincere. Here's a quick sampling:

  • You are a sweet friend and always make me laugh.
  • You did a great job reading the Morning Message today.
  • Thank you for helping me think of an idea for my writing.
  • I'm glad you were my math partner today.
  • I like how you always listen.
  • Thank you for being a good friend. You make me feel good.

And here's a favorite that I received: Thank you for all you do for us... especially Secret Snowflake.

Who knew that something as simple as this would cause such excitement. The show of kindness and the shared enthusiasm has brought our class closer and truly warmed our hearts in this week of single-digit temperatures. Maybe sometimes in our busy lives we need little rituals like writing notes and having secret pals to inspire us to really notice what others mean to us and to take the time to let them know.

The boys and girls have been plenty busy with other writing, too. They have each undertaken one final nonfiction book to show all that they've learned about teaching an audience. The twist is that they are trying new forms of information books. Some children are writing how-to books, others are writing true-or-false books, and still others are writing narrative stories that teach.

Understanding some of the ways that readers respond to nonfiction has been our focus in reading. We've considered how readers figure out the main ideas, ask questions, and have big feelings. "Recess at 20 Below," a book about schoolchildren in Alaska, proved a great choice for practicing these skills together. Then the children practiced with "text sets" of their own. Text sets are multiple books on the same topic. Gathering information and responding across multiple sources is the final step in our nonfiction unit.

This week's math lessons featured more about shapes and measurement. The boys and girls learned about sides and angles,  used centimeter rulers to measure the length of objects around the room, and practiced finding the perimeter of various shapes.





In closing, I send my gratitude to all of you at this special time of year. I can't fill your mailboxes with heart-shaped notes, but  I truly thank you for all you do to support me and to help your children. I look forward to the holidays with my family, but your families will be in my thoughts, too. I feel fortunate to have all of you in my life.

Mark Your Calendars:

Mon., Dec. 19 - I will be out of the classroom for curriculum work with the other second-grade teachers. Mrs. Maier will be the sub.

Tues., Dec. 20 - School Board recognition. Our class will be recognized for being the top donors in our Stormonth food drive. We've combined some student writing and worked together to create a short book about the experience, which we will present to the board. Thanks to all those families who are willing to bring their children back to school at 6 PM for the short program.

Wed., Dec. 21 - Secret Snowflake gift exchange and holiday celebration. (Please send wrapped gifts to school on Mon., Dec. 19, or Tues., Dec. 20.)

Fri., Dec. 23 - First day of winter break

Tues., Jan. 3 - School resumes

No comments:

Post a Comment